Responding to Scholastic Dishonesty
The University has an established process for responding to scholastic dishonesty instructors play an important role in this process and are required by university policy to report student scholastic dishonesty if it occurs
Instructor Steps for Reporting Scholastic Dishonesty
- If you suspect scholastic dishonesty, record the incident immediately while it is fresh in your mind. Gather information and evidence. Keep relevant documents until the matter is resolved.
- Talk to the student about the matter. Ask questions. Listen. Share why you suspect scholastic dishonesty. Take notes.
- Decide whether scholastic dishonesty occurred and what academic penalty is fair to assign. Click on this link for guidelines in determining an academic penalty.
- If you determine scholastic dishonesty has occurred, inform the student of their academic sanction and that you will be reporting the incident.
- Fill out and submit the scholastic dishonesty report form
Need to Consult?
If you have questions or would like to discuss an incident before submitting a report, please contact the Office for Community Standards at 612-624-6073.
Preventing Scholastic Dishonesty
Instructors can take some steps to prevent scholastic dishonesty before it occurs. Click here for some guidelines and helpful resources.